It was a life-changing experience! The lessons were very useful to improve my English, I didn't think I would learn so much in three weeks. It was definitely better than I expected!

- Maximo Perez Lopez, Spain
Intensive General English

Lake School of English: Home > Student life > Long stay students

Long stay students

We offer long stay students advice and a range of services to help them make the most of their stay in Oxford. The British Council provides support and information for overseas students and the UK Council of International Student Affairs offers advice too.


Many Lake School students choose to live in one of our friendly homestays to help them improve their English and to learn about life in the UK today. Your homestay will provide breakfast and cook dinner for you each evening and give you lunch/packed lunch at the weekend. Students who live in a homestay make faster progress than students who live in a rented house or flat.

However, if you prefer to live in rented accommodation, it costs approximately £350 per month for a room in a shared house, not including utility bills or local taxes. To rent a serviced 1 or 2 bedroom flat, on a shortlet basis (6 months) the cost is from £450 per week.

You can find shared houses, flats and houses to rent in local newspapers, our local website and on notice boards in school.

Opening a bank account

If you are staying in Oxford for more than six months, you may like to open a bank account here. You will need to:

  • deposit money (cash, cheque or bank transfer) in the account.
  • show your passport
  • prove your address in your country, for example by showing a bank statement with your name and address
  • prove your address in Oxford, by showing your homestay address on your Lake School enrolment letter, or by showing your contract if you are renting accommodation.
  • prove that you are studying at the Lake School, by showing your confirmation of enrolment letter.

Registering with the police

If you are from a non-EU country and if you are going to stay in Oxford for six months or more, you may have to register with the police. Check in your passport to see if "holder is required to register with the police" is written there. If it is, you'll need to register online and make an appointment to go to the police station in St Aldates. You will need to have

  • your passport
  • 2 passport-size photos (1 digital)
  • the fee of £34

Staying in touch with home: by phone

Some students bring a mobile phone from their country. Some students buy a pay-as-you-go mobile phone or sim card while they are here. The Lake School and all homestays have free WiFi so it's easy to stay in contact using instant messaging and audio or video calls.

Making friends

In the school and in Oxford you will meet students from all over the world. Hopefully you will find that it is interesting to learn about each other's cultures and customs, while communicating in English of course! So try to use English as much as possible. If you speak your own language and there are other students with you, they will probably not understand and this can seem unfriendly.

Also, you'll probably notice some differences between England and your own culture. Most English people will be friendly and try to help you if you smile and say please and thank you.

Getting a job

At present, all students who are from an EU country and Switzerland can work without restriction in the UK. We can help you to look for a job, by giving you CV guidance and help with job applications. Taking a part-time job can improve your future career opportunities.

Students who have a Short Term Study Visa or an Extended Short Term Study Visa are not permitted to work in the UK.

In Oxford, it is usually quite easy to find part-time jobs in restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. There are job advertisements in local newspapers, the local website  and on information boards in school.

Making progress

Long stay students can make a lot of progress in their English during their course. When you first arrive you will have a placement test and an interview to discuss your study programme. During your course you will have monthly personal tutorials and weekly assessments to monitor your progress.

Having a holiday

You may take holidays during your programme, but requests for holidays must be made at least 1 month in advance. We do not refund fees but add the weeks that you take as holiday to the end of your course

Extending your visa

Students who have come to the UK on a Short Term Study Visa or Extended Short Term Study Visa can't extend their visa and must return home to make a new visa application.