Lake School of English: Home > Before You Arrive
Before You Arrive
Carmel and Susan, the directors of the school are available by phone or email to answer any questions you may have about your course and your accommodation.
Confirmation of enrolment
We will confirm your place on a course as soon as we receive your enrolment and payment. Participants on Professional Development Courses will also receive pre-course questionnaires.
For students on General English courses, there is also a link to the Lake School Welcome Pack and Study Pack in your Confirmation of Enrolment. These are designed to support you during your stay in Oxford, to help you learn English effectively while you are here and to continue to improve after you leave. You'll also receive the Welcome Pack and the Study Pack in a folder on your first day.
Participants on Professional Development Courses receive a Welcome Pack on their first day.
Confirmation of accommodation
If you have chosen homestay accommodation, at least one week before you travel, you will receive:
- the address and contact details
- a profile of your host and their location
It's a good idea to read this British Council booklet 'Creating Confidence'. It's about making sure that your time studying in the UK is safe and enjoyable.
Before you travel to the UK, we recommend that you arrange full travel insurance including cover for cancelling, shortening or postponing your course, also health and personal belongings' insurance.
Guide to studying and living in the UK
You find useful information about studying in the UK from Education UK.
Things to bring with you
- An umbrella, sunglasses, t-shirts, raincoat and jumpers. The weather is changeable!
- An electrical adaptor; in Britain the electrical supply is 3-pin 240 volts.
- Your moblie phone charger.
- Any medicine that you regularly take.
- A laptop, tablet or smart phone. We have WiFi, or you can connect to our LAN internet by cable. A USB memory stick may be useful too.
- A notebook and pen, so you can take notes in class.